Special research organizations outside the university play a vital role in Bavaria’s scientific community. Committed to finding solutions to the pressing issues of our time, these institutions are at the forefront of advancing research and technology.
Non-University Research Organizations
Bavaria is home to a number of highly regarded research institutions. These organizations form the backbone of collaborative research in the region thanks to close partnerships with the Bavarian universities. For example, doctoral candidates can do their PhD jointly at a university and research institute (with the university awarding the doctoral degree). Similarly, group leaders at research institutes can hold joint professor positions at universities and gain teaching experience there.
The Max Planck Society
Throughout Europe, the Max Planck Society is one of the leading organizations for basic research in the natural sciences, life sciences, social sciences, and humanities. Headquartered in Bavaria, the society is famous for its excellent research. The following institutes are located in Bavaria:
- Max Planck Institute for Astrophysics, Garching campus, near Munich
- Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried campus, near Munich
- Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics, Garching campus, near Munich
- Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition, Munich
- Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, Martinsried campus, near Munich
- Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, Seewiesen, near Munich
- Max Planck Institute for Physics, Munich
- Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics, Garching campus, near Munich
- Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich
- Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics, Garching campus, near Munich
- Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light, Erlangen
- Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy, Munich
- Max Planck Institute for Tax Law and Public Finance, Munich
The Helmholtz Association is Germany’s largest scientific organization. Committed to addressing challenges to society, science, and industry, its 19 independent research centers cooperate closely with universities and other strategic partners across six key fields: Energy, Earth and Environment, Health, Aeronautics, Space and Transport, Matter, and Key Technologies. In Bavaria you can find:
Helmholtz Centers in Bavaria
Helmholtz Centers with Locations in Bavaria
- German Aerospace Center (DLR) - DLR's largest site Oberpfaffenhofen
- Institute of Meteorology and Climate Research, Department Atmospheric Environmental Research, KIT´s Campus Alpin in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Helmholtz Institutes on University Campuses
Helmholtz institutes have established centers on several university campuses—a sign of their profound and ongoing collaborative efforts to advance research in their fields.
- Helmholtz Institute Erlangen-Nürnberg for Renewable Energy (HI-ERN)
- Helmholtz Institute Würzburg for RNA-based Infection Research (HIRI)
The Leibniz Association conducts basic and applied research in a range of disciplines including engineering, economics, the humanities, and the natural sciences. In Bavaria, there are seven independent research institutes—including important research museums.
- ifo Institute—Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich
- Leibniz Institute for Contemporary History (Institut für Zeitgeschichte), Munich
- Leibniz Institute for Educational Trajectories (Leibniz-Institut für Bildungsverläufe, LIfBi), Bamberg
- Leibniz Institute for East and Southeast European Studies (Leibniz-Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropastudien, IOS), Regensburg
- Leibniz-Institute for Food Systems Biology (Leibniz-Institut für Lebensmittel-Systembiologie, LSB@TUM) at the Technical University of Munich
- Deutsches Museum, Munich
- Leibniz Research Museum of Cultural History (Germanisches Nationalmuseum, GNM), Nuremberg
Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization, Fraunhofer drives the development of key technologies that respond to society’s needs. A primary feature of the organization is its close cooperation with business and industry. Its headquarters can be found in Munich.
Explore Fraunhofer’s research institutes and facilities and see where they are based.
The Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities
The Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities is primarily concerned with basic research and long-term projects in the humanities and natural sciences. The academy supports international and interdisciplinary collaborations and promotes the work of early-career scholars through programs like the Young Academy (Junges Kolleg). In addition to leading around 60 research projects, the academy is home to the Commission for Bavarian History (Kommission für bayerische Landesgeschichte) and operates three institutes:
More Non-University Research Institutes
There are many more research institutions throughout Bavaria. Below is a non-exhaustive list of some of these facilities.
- Bavarian State Institute for Higher Education Research and Planning (Bayerisches Staatsinstitut für Hochschulforschung und Hochschulplanung, IHF), Munich
- Bavarian Natural History Collections (Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns, SNSB), Munich
- Collegium Carolinum—Research Institute for the History of the Czech Lands and Slovakia (Collegium Carolinum – Forschungsinstitut für die Geschichte Tschechiens und der Slowakei, CC), Munich
- Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte (HdBG), Augsburg
- Historisches Kolleg, Munich
- Institut für Ostrecht e.V. (IOR), Regensburg
- Institut für Sozialwissenschaftliche Forschung e.V. (ISF), Munich
- Monumenta Germaniae Historica (MGH), Munich
- Regensburg Center for Interventional Immunology (Regensburger Centrum für Interventionelle Immunologie, RCI), Regensburg
- State Institute for Family Research at the University of Bamberg (Staatsinstitut für Familienforschung an der Universität Bamberg, IFB), Bamberg
- State Institute of Early Childhood Research (Staatsinstitut für Frühpädagogik, IFP), Munich
- Southeast Europe Association (Südosteuropa-Gesellschaft e.V., SOG), Munich
- The Women’s Academy Munich (Frauenakademie München e.V., FAM), Munich
- Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte (ZI), Munich